Operation Organise: Drawers
First of all, I want to apologise. This series was meant to be weekly and I said that a month ago! (See the first two posts here and here.) As we’ve already focused on wardrobe, I wanted to next look at the main other place where people tend to keep their clothing: drawers. If you’re like me, you have plenty of storage but might always know what is best to go in each drawer to maximise space and ease.
Here are some of the top tips I’ve learnt along the way:
- Make a plan first: do you have enough drawer space? What would you like to have in each drawer? Do you need any boxes/dividers to store things inside them?
- Empty each drawer and clean it first; if you can, empty out all drawers and place contents on your bed/floor
- Look at each item and see if it is in the correct place. Yes, I’m talking about those junk drawers, we all have them but most of the time these items are in there because you can’t be bothered to put them back in their correct spot!
- Get rid of odd socks, worn-out underwear, pyjamas that don’t fit, old t-shirts that you don’t wear anymore. Most of the time, you can bin these as I wouldn’t want to give discoloured or worn-out items to charity! If some things are in good condition, by all means donate them!
- Learn how to fold properly. Buy this book and its follow-up and it gives you a step-by-step guide of how to fold certain items. Trust me, it is life-changing.
- Put all the same type of items together. Keep all t-shirts in the same drawer etc. This way, when you need to grab something quickly, you’ll know exactly which drawer to go to. If the item you want isn’t in there, it will either be in the wash basket or hanging on the line!
First column of 5+5 (wider drawers):
3. Workout outfits for the week
5. Sports bras
Second column of 5+5 drawers:
1. Spare make-up
2. Sports t-shirts
3. Spare shopping bags
4. Toiletry bags
5. Summer t-shirts/vests
1. Comfies: joggers, old uni t-shirts
2. Sports shorts and trainer socks for sport
3. Sports leggings
4. Spare eqipment: resistance bands and mini bands
5. Ankle socks
6. Trainer socks
7. Boot/winter socks, slipper socks